Friday, December 5, 2014

Blog 5: Home recording

 Hello and welcome to this weeks blog presented by Infidel Audio. Over the past few weeks I have gone over some new products with in the world of recording but today I am going to talk just about home recording because not every one can wake up and call a million dollar studio their work place. I have the luxury of being about to recording in a professional studio but I dont always have time to to mix and finish recording in the studio so the next best place is my house. I have a A house with a nice sized basement. I built a room in the corner of the basement with a couple things in mind. How the room would sound without spending a million bucks that I don have and also the space I would need to record musicians and voice talent. The room sounded good after I used insulation between the walls and used acoustic foam to control the noise inside the room. As far as equipment, I am a college student and money is a thing that I wish I had so I had to be smart with my money. I started with my computer and I choose a Windows machine over an Apple computer mainly because of the price tag. I built a Windows machine with 12 GB of memory a nd a AMD 8 core 4.3 gigahertz processor. This allows me to run Pro Tools 10 and 11 with all the plug ins i need without any performance issues. I have three 1 Terabyte external hard drives that give me all the storage space I need. I have both the Focusrite 2i2 and the 18i20 that i keep in the box unless I am tracking a live drum set, which will not happen until I can acoustically treat the other room in my basement. I leave the Focusrite 2i2 hooked up to my computer via USB and the unit features two really nice XLR and 1/4" combo jacks as well as phantom power. This allows me to record voice talent as direct inputs for bass or guitar. I can as mic up guitar and bass cabinets as well. I know one of the most important pieces of equipment in any studio is the monitoring system. For my monitors I found a great deal on KRK Rokit 8's. Normally the sell for $250 to $300 a piece but I had a friend that just upgraded his monitors and sold me his Rokit 8's for only $200 for the pair. I could not pass that up and gives me solid performance that I expect from KRK. I still use my Shure 440 monitoring headphones to mix, but i did have a pair of KRK headphones that I loved until I let a friend borrow them and the person moved before I had a chance to get that back. Moral of the story is never loan out your good equipment. If i would have let her borrow my Shure headphones I would not have cared at all. I have many different guitar and bass amplifiers as well as a couple microphones. My main vocal mic i use is the Audio Techinica 4040. I paid about $300 for this mic and I could not be happier with a mic in this price range. For instruments I use the rock steady Shure SM-57. This is a classic mic that I can use on just about any thing. For the future I would like to upgrade my interface to a Antelope Zen studio and also upgrade my computer to a Mac but that wont be until I can afford a Mac that has the same power that my PC has. Well thank you for taking the time to read this and if you like what you read then please subscribe to my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment